Study In New Zealand

Study in New Zealand Overview

Studying in New Zealand prepares you for a unique country with excellent study opportunities. New Zealand is a much secured place and appreciates all kinds of communities and cultures. No doubt it makes an interesting destination for international students by means of well esteemed universities. New Zealand’s education system is based on British system offering plentiful opportunities for research and internships where students build practical abilities for their career and academic life.

Capital : Wellington
Major Cities : Auckland, Christchurch,Hamilton,Napier
Currency : New Zealand Dollar (NZ$)
Population :5.1million

Tuition fee:

  • Undergraduate students – NZ$ 14,000 to NZ$ 19,000 per year
  • Post graduate programs – NZ$ 12,000 to NZ$ 20,000 per year
  • Management course – up to NZ$ 24,000 per year

  • If you will be studying in New Zealand for more than one year, you‘ll need to prove that you have at least $15,000 (through FTS) to support yourself for the first year. If you’re studying for less than a year, you must have at least $1250 for each month of study to contribute to your living expenses.
Check below section for information on FTS

The FTS is a secure way for students from some countries to transfer funds to support themselves in New Zealand.

Participating countries

The FTS is only available to students from:

  • China
  • India
  • Philippines
  • Sri Lanka.

The purpose of FTS

The FTS, which is operated by the ANZ Bank of New Zealand (ANZ):

  • is one way to show us that you have genuine access to money to support yourself while you are studying in New Zealand, and
  • helps you transfer your funds securely to New Zealand and then withdraw a set amount each month to maintain yourself comfortably while you are here.

Signing up to the FTS  does not guarantee that we will approve your student visa application.

Who needs an FTS account

Use the FTS if:

  • we ask you to set one up to show you have genuine access to funds, or
  • as a convenient way to transfer and manage money during your study.

If we ask you to set up an FTS account

If you meet all of the criteria for a student visa, apart from being able to satisfy us that you will be able to genuinely access your funds while in New Zealand, we may give you a letter offering you approval in principle (AIP) on the condition that you use the FTS to transfer funds to New Zealand.

Follow these steps to set up the account.

  1. After you receive your AIP letter, contact the ANZ bank to apply for an FTS account and transfer your funds. You need to provide your AIP letter and a copy of your passport to the ANZ.
  2. After your funds have been transferred to your FTS account, the ANZ sends you an email confirming that they have received the money. The bank also contacts INZ directly to confirm the funds transfer.
  3. We only finalise your application and grant your visa after we receive:
    • the confirmation from ANZ that they received your funds, and
    • the receipt for your tuition fees.

If you want an FTS account for convenience

In your visa application you need to show the amount of funds you have access to, and that your funds are from a genuine source.  If you plan to set up an FTS account, tell us why.

Conditions of the FTS

You can only use FTS if:

  • you transfer at least the minimum funds that you need for your first year of study.
  • you agree to withdraw only a specified amount of money each month.

Minimum amount you can transfer

You need NZD $15,000 to pay your living costs for each year of study. This is the minimum amount you need to transfer to your FTS account.

Living costs do not include your course or tuition fees.

Applying for an FTS account

To apply for an FTS account, complete and submit an account application form online. ANZ advised that, as the account holder, you must complete the application form yourself.

Funds Transfer Scheme Online Application – ANZ

Other bank accounts

Your FTS account does not stop you from having another bank account. You can open other accounts with any bank in New Zealand, including ANZ.

Withdrawing money from your account

When you arrive in New Zealand, you need to visit an ANZ branch to activate your account. Once your account is active, you can withdraw money at ANZ branches or ATMs, or by using your EFTPOS or debit card.

How much you can withdraw

To help you make sure that you don’t overspend or run out of money you can only withdraw a set amount each month — the same amount for 12 months. The more you transfer to your FTS account, the more money you can withdraw each month for your living costs.

For example if you transfer:

  • NZD $15,000 (the minimum amount ), you can withdraw up to $1,250 each month for 12 months
  • NZD $18,000, you can withdraw up to $1,500 each month for 12 months.

Withdrawing all your money from your FTS account 

You can only withdraw the set amount released to your FTS account each month. If you want to withdraw all the money in your account, you can only do that in some circumstances.

If your visa application is declined

If your application is declined, contact ANZ to arrange the refund. You need to give ANZ a copy of our letter declining your application.

If you stop your study

Your education provider tells us that you are no longer studying with them. Contact the ANZ bank to organise the transfer of the money in your account. The bank tells us that you have closed your account.

If you have completed your study

If you have completed your studies and you still have money left in your FTS account, you can withdraw the remaining balance by providing ANZ with:

  • evidence that you have completed your course, or
  • your new visa.

New Zealand has 3 categories of educational institutions public universities, polytechnics and Private Training Providers. New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) provides accreditations to these private institutions for issuing degrees and diplomas. Course fees in New Zealand institutions are quite affordable as well as living expenditure as New Zealand dollar (currency) exchange rates are lower than US dollars, UK Pounds and Australian dollars.


Apart from the popular courses like IT, engineering and business management New Zealand institutions offer a variety of interesting programs like aviation flight training, air traffic control, dance, design and arts, religious studies, travel and tourism and hospitality courses.

New Zealand offers options for both undergraduate and post graduate programs. A student can choose from a degree or diploma based on their qualification and interest. Both of them are recognized for jobs within New Zealand and immigration purposes.

  • Main Intakes – February and July
  • Other Intakes –  May and September

  • Diploma and certificate programs ,  10+2 or equivalent - Level 5 & 6.
  • Bachelors Degree - Level 7
  • Post Graduate program - Level 8
  • Masters Degree - Level 9

Programs of StudyIELTS RequirementsMinimum Academic Requirements
Diploma Programs5.5 (with no band less than 5.0)Pass 12th Grade with 50-60% Minimum
Bachelor’s Degree6.0 (with no band less than 5.5)Pass 12th Grade with 60% Minimum
Graduate Diploma6.0 (with no band less than 5.5)Bachelor with 55-60% Minimum
Post-graduate Diploma6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)Bachelor with minimum of 60% Minimum
Master Programs6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)Bachelor with 60% Minimum and 2 years of work experience
NOTE : Aslo PTE is acceptable

Can I work while studying in New Zealand?

New Zealand student visas usually allow full-time students to work up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and up to 40 hours a week during the summer break. Check your student visa – it will show if (and when) you are allowed to work. ...

How to get PR (Permanent Residency) in New Zealand after study?

New Zealand PR: Naturally packed with lush breath-taking landscapes, modern infrastructures, low unemployment rate, and a decent economy, New Zealand is definitely a preferred option to settle and earn a flourishing livelihood, making it a popular destination for students from all over the world.

As we all know that a student visa is mandatory for people who are travelling to New Zealand to pursue a course, training, programme, or even go to school, that runs a duration of more than three months. The most common visas that Indian students beyond 18 years of age apply for are Fee Paying Student Visa, Exchange Student Visa, Foreign Government Supported Student Visa, and Pathway Student Visa. For candidates, who have completed two years in the country and wish to obtain Permanent Residence Visa, it is quite difficult to define the time period for visa validation. Please note that there is a difference between the terms Resident Visa and Permanent Resident Visa.

After the successful completion of a degree from any of the acclaimed universities of New Zealand, the next step is to apply for the correct kind of visa, depending on the job opportunity in hand. This can be divided into the following:

Post-Study Work VISA (Open): This visa has flexible options for students who have completed their course but are still looking for a job. This visa guarantees your stay in the country for a year to give you an opportunity to find a job related to your field of study or research. In the meanwhile, you are allowed to work in any field, in order to support your livelihood in New Zealand.
Post-Study Work VISA (Employer Assisted): This visa, on the other hand, is not flexible with the type of job you opt for, after study. Providing a window of two years, this visa gives you a chance to find a specific job role with a specific employer. Please keep in mind to apply for this visa within three months of expiry of your student visa.


How much does it cost?

A student visa will cost you US$185 (INR 8,463.29). The INZ, New Delhi, does not accept cash or credit cards – you will have to pay through a bank cheque or a draft.


Can I work while I study?

Full-time international students are permitted to work for a maximum of 20 hours in a week while they are studying. They can also work full time during holidays.

Foreign students who wish to work while they study must apply for a variation of the conditions of their student visa. This can be done either while filling out the initial application or later - as long as their student visa is valid.


Can I work after graduation?

To encourage international students to stay after completing their courses, the New Zealand government, allows those with no job offers in hand to get a visa for up to 12 months, and work at a temporary job while they search for job in their chosen field. The set of rules under which this is allowed is known as the Graduate Job Search Work Instructions.

Students who secure a job offer upon the successful completion of their degree need to apply for a Graduate Work Experience visa under the Study to Work Instructions. This allows them to work for two years in New Zealand, in order to gain some practical work experience relevant to their qualifications.

The Graduate Work Experience visa can be granted for three years in the case of eligible overseas students who intend to gain a membership or register with a New Zealand professional association which requires more than two years of relevant work experience to join. For more information, you can visit


How much does it cost?

A student visa will cost you US$185 (INR 8,463.29). The INZ, New Delhi, does not accept cash or credit cards – you will have to pay through a bank cheque or a draft.

Visa fee
Type of submissionApplication costReceiving centre fee
OnlineNZD 530 (approx. INR 23,330)INR 722
PaperINR 24,500INR 1,087

Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020

New Zealand
Country RankInstitutionWorld Rank
The University of Auckland201-300
University of Otago301-400
University of Canterbury401-500
Victoria University of Wellington401-500
Massey University601-700
The University of Waikato701-800
Lincoln University801-900
AUT University901-1000

  • A well rounded scan of individual profile to figure out the best available options for clients.
  • Vintage overseas career advisors are highly experienced with an eye for detail.
  • Vintage overseas is a platform that creates innumerable opportunities to assist you in interacting with university representatives and delegates through various events.
  • Assistance with visa application and preparation through mock interviews.
  • Pre departure and post arrival assistance.

  • Application ,  Academics & Passport
  • English language proficiency (IELTS Score).
  • Admission letter from University
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs during study period to show to high commission.
  • Police Clearence Certificate (PCC) and Medical checkup
  • Visa Filing 
  • Telephonic Interview with New Zealand High Commission
  • Approval in Principal (AIP)
  • Payment of 1 Year tution fees + Living Expenditure
  • Online Visa (30 days)